Traditional toys and handmade items from local artisans make for unique gifts, give you real value & support your local economy. Join your friends & neighbors in the experience of supporting local merchants in town. Cheers!
10 Tips for Choosing Local Items for the Holidays
1. Stick to local independent shops & artisan markets – steer clear of chain stores
2. Ask friends where they like to shop local & what winter festivals they attend.
3. Remember art & music can make a great gifts
4. Locally made cards from area photographers & artisans are great to send out this time of year but also make nice gifts
5. Customize gifts for those you love & add homemade treats you make, coupled with specialty food items made by local producers (coffees, teas, pastas, cheeses, artisan baked goods, meats, oils, finishing salts, etc.)
6. “Like” the market on Facebook & watch for posts of winter artisan fairs in the area on our Facebook page
7. Get out of your comfort zone & think locally produced jewelry, art, wooden crafts, pottery.
8. Shop early & take time choosing memorable gifts that last
9. Give the gift of charitable contributions (for gifts given or received) ~Local food for local families in need can make a big impact. Donate to “Fresh Rewards” through ACCESS (This match program starts back up in Spring of 2014)
10. Think unique! Those handmade items make an impression that lasts a lifetime.
This Thanksgiving bring the flavors of the season to your table, and find the freshest grown produce sourced direct from area farmers. One more Rogue Valley Growers & Crafters Market remains ~ Tuesday Nov. 26th in Ashland (E. Main & Wightman) 8:30-1:30 just days before Thanksgiving. There will be lots of freshly picked produce from area farms and delicious specialty food items for sale (think fresh salad greens, hearty veggies, freshly picked mushrooms for stuffing & sides available from Louie with Mushrooms All Year, flavorful pastas, traditional artisan baked breads and fresh roasted organic coffee to wake up after the big meal and much, much more). Also browse many unique gift ideas for the holidays from area artisans at market. Something for everyone at market. See you there. Cheers!
Fresh Rewards is an EBT SNAP incentive to assist lower income families with purchasing fresh, locally grown foods at market. In 2013, Fresh Rewards brought >$450 in locally grown foods onto the tables of neighbors most in need. Fresh Rewards will continue a $4 incentive in 2014, at the Saturday Medford Market. So when the Oregon Trail card is swiped at the participating market & the card holder redeems at least $4 - they will receive an additional $4 in tokens that day to help stretch their food dollars, while supporting local farmers & ranchers. Special thanks to ACCESS, Ashland Food Co-op & THRIVE for making Fresh Rewards possible.
You too can help!
You too can donate to this great program & help local families get locally produced food onto the tables of our neighbors most in need:
- Go to www.accesshelps.org
- Click the “Make a difference” button on the right side of the page.
- Select the amount you would like to donate and designate that you want your donation to go to “Fresh Rewards”